Coffee is an essential part of our lives today – it works as a source of energy when you feel lazy in the morning and struggle to get out of your bed. And if you have the perfect brewer at your disposal, that is simply the best.
Talk about a nice coffee brewer and Keurig is one of the very first names that strikes. Keurig coffee brewers are quite well-known and are found in almost every other American household. But have you ever wondered how does a Keurig work?
Well, in this read, we will discuss the working mechanism of this coffee brewer.
Keurig Coffee Maker And its Various Aspects
Let us now have a detailed look at some of the major elements that are associated with a Keurig coffee machine.
Making coffee using the Keurig coffee maker is a completely different experience. The Keurig machine uses K-cups, also known as pods, that contain freshly grounded coffee.
K-cups are available in a huge variety of blends, flavors and roasts. One pod makes one cup of coffee with a little effort and saves your time. K-cups are made up of a filter layer and a good quality plastic.
The coffee remains fresh because it is covered with a foil layer that prevents moisture from ruining the taste of coffee. You just have to insert the K-cup in the machine and your hot and freshly brewed cup of joe is ready.
There is no mess to clean up afterwards. All you have to do is take out the pod that is used and throw it in the dustbin.
To make sure the performance is not compromised, always use K-cups that are under Keurig’s authorization.
The Right Water Temperature
The usual temperature for Keurig coffee makers is 192° Fahrenheit or 89° Celsius. The internal temperature depends on various factors such as the material of the cup.
If you haven’t used the Keurig machine for a long time, always run some clear water through the brewer so that the taste of coffee is not affected. This will warm the brewer in advance and you can then insert the pods and brew your cup of joe.
Cup Size for Brew
The brewer screen has the options for the cup size. You have to select the option for the cup size you are brewing. The Keurig 2.0 machines are able to identify between K-cups, mugs and carafes inserted in the brewer.
The Lid Technology
A few years ago, Keurig 2.0 introduced the Lid Technology that was able to automate various aspects of coffee brewing and also restricted the usage to Keurig-licensed coffee pods. These features were limited to K-mug and K-carafe pods only (which have now been discontinued).
How Does a Keurig Mini Brewer function?
Keurig Mini brewers are designed with the latest technology that delivers delicious homemade coffee every time you use it.
A water reservoir is present in each brewer that has a capacity to contain a good quantity of water. You just have to insert the pod, turn the machine on and your cup of coffee is ready. The water that is left can be used later.
What Is Required To Make a Delicious Cup of Coffee at Home?
You cannot be on the run always, to grab a cup of coffee from the nearby coffee place. It is not feasible and a lot of money is wasted too. Hence, you should invest in a coffee brewer that not only saves your time and money but also gives you the opportunity to enjoy your cup of joe whenever you want.
Follow these simple steps to prepare an exquisite cup of coffee
- Select the cup size and turn on the machine.The heating chamber will activate and the temperature will start rising until the water has reached the perfect boiling point.
- When the water has reached the right temperature, it starts pouring from the hose.
- Insert the K cup in the brewer and close it. When you close the brewer it will form a hole in the K cup first and then form another hole in the plastic layer at the bottom of the pod.
- The water runs through the pod and the coffee starts pouring in the cup.
How Can You Experiment with your Keurig?
Here are some variations that you can try with your Keurig coffee brewer.
Choose your Coffee Type
The machine will start brewing the coffee once the pod is inserted and the turn on button is pressed. If you like your coffee to be Strong, press the button present on the bottom left corner of the brewer. Once you press that button the machine will prepare a stronger coffee that you can enjoy peacefully.
Make Hot Chocolate Using Keurig Coffee Machine
Winters demand hot beverages to keep you warm and cozy. Keurig coffee makers can be used to make hot chocolate. K-cup comes in different flavors and all you have to do is insert the Hot chocolate pod and select the hot chocolate option and then press the brew button.
When the brewing process is completed, a frothy cup of hot chocolate is ready for you. Keurig has a lot of teas as well and you can use the same method to brew some delicious teas.
How to Improve your Keurig’s Life
Just like any other coffee brewer, there are certain ways to maintain your Keurig machine’s work efficiency and durability. To do this, make sure you are doing the following things at the right time:
Cleaning the Keurig Coffee Maker
Keurig machines require less effort and energy to make coffee everyday but this machine needs to be cleaned at the required time. You can clean the Keurig coffee maker with white vinegar, citric acid, or Keurig cleaning solution.
There are a few basic elements associated with the cleaning process:
- Keurig machines normally give you the reminder for descaling, so as soon as you see the notification on your coffee machine, you can go ahead with the descaling process.
- Every time a machine is used, little bit of depreciation occurs. The best way to keep your machine in shape is to maintain the cleanliness.
- Always clean the external parts of the machine by using a soft damp cloth. Never submerge or wash the brewer in the running water.
- Except for the water reservoir and the lid, all other parts are dishwasher safe. So you can clean the reservoir and the lid using your hand.
- For most Keurig models, the K-cup holder, funnel, drip plate and drip tray are dishwasher safe. The lid and water tank should be cleaned by hand as they are not dishwasher safe.
- Always use filtered or bottled water to brew your coffee in the Keurig coffee maker. It will improve the machine’s health and life. Hard water forms limescale in the machine and it affects the coffee’s taste.
Cleaning the K-Cup Holder
The K-cup holder requires a clean-up as well. You don’t need to clean it every other day but once in a while clean it using warm water and soap.
Cleaning the Keurig Device Needle
Needles are equally important to be cleaned. To clean the needles of the Keurig coffee maker, simply take off the pack holder from the brewer and by using paper clips clean the residue on the needles, if there is any.
Assemble the needles back once you have cleaned it. Keurig 2.0 offers its own cleaning tool.
Advantages of Keurig Coffee Maker
- The brewing speed is the biggest benefit as you get a freshly brewed coffee by just inserting a pod and pressing one button.
- The real taste of coffee is extracted with the right pressure and the ideal temperature required for brewing a delicious cup of coffee in no time.
- This coffee maker can be used to make different types of teas and hot chocolate.
- Each member of the house can brew their choice of tea or coffee whenever they want without worrying about time and taste.
Disadvantages of a Keurig Coffee Maker
- K-cups are more expensive than coffee grounds.
- Keurig machines are pricier.
- Many coffee lovers do not consider coffee made in Keurig machines to be real as they say the coffee made in Keurig is not freshly roasted.
Why is Keurig Coffee Maker the best?
Keurig brought an interesting idea to the world of coffee. Keurig is convenient and that is what makes it perfectly suitable in this fast paced life.
Our Final Thoughts on Working of a Keurig Coffee Maker
The US is the leading consumer of coffee in the world. 400 million cups of coffee are consumed in the United States every day. Being an avid coffee drinker, you would certainly want to have a nice, affordable and efficient coffee brewer at home.
Without a doubt, Keurig coffee maker is a good investment. It saves your time, is user-friendly and worth every penny. If you are a true coffee lover, this brewer will meet your coffee needs well.
If you want to brew a single cup of coffee, you can do that using the Keurig coffee maker. Now that you know how Keurig works, this coffee brewer will prove to be a blessing if you really love your coffee!