Having a luscious cup of latte or cappuccino is amazing, and it gets better if you can make one right at home. Getting a good quality milk frother and steamer will take care of making the perfect beverage. And, you also get to try your hand at some cool latte art. Steaming and frothing milk for your coffee can be fairly simple. Best milk frothers on the market make things very easy, as do milk steamers.
A Walk Down The Lane With Milk Frothers And Steamers
For most coffee types, the steamed milk you add makes all the difference in taste and texture. For example, the milk you add makes all the difference between a cappuccino and latte. A good frothing doesn’t just come by whipping milk, so unless you absolutely know what you’re doing, avoid the DIY route. You also need to heat the milk and bring it to the right temperature.
A lot of complaints about steamed milk and milk frothers in general, come from high expectations or incorrect use. Just whipping milk won’t make it fit for latte, and even the best milk frother won’t suddenly turn people into latte artists. It takes time and experience to get these things right.
Choosing From Milk Frother Types
Milk frothers and steamers come in a variety of options, sizes, and features. The most common types are handheld and jug style frothers.
- Handheld Milk Frothers usually cost less. They don’t come with a container, and must be held by hand while the whisk spins and the frothing process is completed.
- Jug Style Milk Frothers often cost more than handheld variants. They include a jug/beaker with a whisk to froth the milk. Many of these also include heating options to warm the milk to the right temperature for frothing and steaming. Induction-based milk steamers are common, though you can as easily find options fit for a stovetop.
Milk Types Are Usually Compatible
Frothing does not have to be limited to cow’s milk. Milk frothers will work for almond milk, coconut milk, and other options. It is worth noting that while most milk frothers will be compatible with cow’s milk, lower quality options will often struggle with the thickness and fat of other milk types.
You should also consider the temperature. Good microfoam becomes difficult after you’ve gone beyond a certain temperature. For cow’s milk, this is usually 154°F. A frother that can control its temperature can be a real blessing.
Best Milk Frother And Steamer 2021 — Our Top Picks
HIC Milk Creamer Frother Cappuccino Coffee Foam Pitcher with Handle and Lid, Stainless Steel, 14-Ounce Capacity
PowerLix Milk Frother Handheld Battery Operated Electric Foam Maker For Coffee, Latte, Cappuccino, Hot Chocolate, Durable Drink Mixer With Stainless Steel Whisk, Stainless Steel Stand Include (Black)
Bonsenkitchen Electric Milk Frother, Automatic Milk Foam Maker for Bulletproof coffee, Matcha, Hot Chocolate Stainless Steel Whisk Battery Operated Mini Drink Mixer Blender
1. Breville BMF600XL Milk Cafe Milk Frother
- Latte frothing disc for smooth and silky milk. please review the product videos under the images bef
- Cappucino frothing disk for thick and creamy froth
- Hot chocolate maker, by simply adding drinking chocolate powder, flakes or syrup to the warming milk
- On-board disc storage
- Product uses induction heating, you can simply place the jug in the dishwasher for easy cleaning.
Breville is a popular and high-quality choice for your milk frother and steamer needs. This jug-style milk frother uses induction heating to reach the right temperature and stay there. You can use the dial to select the temperature of your choice. It has helpful markings to be guides for selecting the right temperature.
It works magic with cow’s milk, and the high-quality construction and features also make it fit for plant-based options like almond milk. Set it to work with whatever you like and the Breville Milk Frother will deliver good results.
A huge plus with this appliance is that it does all the work. Interchangeable disks control foam density, making it suitable for your cappuccino or latte as necessary. All you have to do is select the options and let it go to work. Once it has reached the correct temperature and foam density, the Breville BMF600XL Milk Cafe Milk Frother will shut down automatically.
The features come for a price, but if a high-quality milk frother is what you want, the Breville is our top choice as the best milk frother.
|Easy to use||Expensive|
|Customization options for temperature and foam density||Big footprint on the counter space|
|Works with vegan (non-dairy) milk options as well|
2. Secura Automatic Electric Milk Frother and Warmer
- Milk frother makes hot and cold milk froth for cappuccinos, heats hot milk for lattes. maximum capacity
- Maximum level indicator for milk frother and maximum level indicator for milk warmer, and minimum
- Stainless-steel exterior with vacuum insulation; detachable base; free cleaning brush.
- Product for use with north american electrical standards, 120v only. etl. 2-year warranty
- To make hot drinks, press the on/off button once and release immediately, both heater and frother
This jug-style milk frother quite literally takes the shape of a jug. Secura Automatic Electric Milk Frother and Warmer can heat up 250ml of milk, but if you need frothing, 125ml is its maximum limit. The frother has level indicators pointing to the maximum and minimum amount of milk it can handle.
Much like the Breville, the Secura isn’t suitable for whipping up foam and steamed milk for a single cup of cappuccino. You’d need about 3 cups to get things right. Secura Automatic Milk Frother can be used for hot beverages as well as cold coffee. Pressing the power buttons turns on the milk steamer as well as frother. However, if you don’t want heating, you can simply turn on the frother and keep the milk at its original temperature. Convenient, huh?
|Good, robust construction||Struggles with non-dairy milk options|
|Easy to clean and use|
|Great value for money|
3. HIC Milk Creamer Frother Cappuccino Coffee Foam Pitcher
- Finos milk frother creates a frothy rich foam to top delectable hot or cold beverages in 60 seconds
- Made from 18/8 stainless steel and nylon; lid had built-in double-mesh aerator and easy-grip handle;
- Measure milk into pitcher, place plunger inside and secure the lid, pump handle up and down, about 3
- Create frothed whole milk, skim, goat milk, hemp milk, almond milk, soy or cashew milk, and other no
- Easy to use; more economical than battery powered frothers and expensive espresso machines; top-rack
HIC Milk Creamer Frother has looks going for it. It has a more traditional pitcher-like appearance and a shiny exterior. This is a manual frother, there is no electricity or battery involved.
If you want to heat the milk, head to the stovetop. For milk frothing, HIC Milk Frother includes a plunger that you will have to work for 30-60 seconds depending on your preference. Once done, you’ll find velvety foam that will make delicious cappuccinos and lattes.
This is a simple machine, and you could perhaps find this or similar milk frothers in a Target or Bed Bath and Beyond. What makes the HIC worthy of our list is its sturdy construction, and the wonderful microfoam it presents. It is going to take some effort, but if greater control is what you want, going manual is an excellent choice.
|Robust and high-quality construction||Manual operation requires a fair amount of effort|
|Double-mesh aerator works great||Struggles with vegan milk options|
|Easy to use and clean|
4. PowerLix Milk Frother Handheld Battery Operated Electric Foam Maker
- Get creamy froth quickly: powerlix brings you its small, portable handheld milk frother for frothed
- Battery operated for perfect froth in no time: the mixer is battery powered so you don't have to wor
- Quality you can trust: our milk whisk frappe maker is made of the best quality stainless steel. it h
- Beautifully styled with versatility: the machine is beautifully styled in red color to fit into any
- 100% return/replacement warranty: the milk frother with the cup is so handy and useful that you can
In the world of handheld milk frothers, the PowerLix Milk Frother has built up quite a name. It is simple and compact, requiring very little space. Additionally, since it is battery operated, it is easily portable.
Obviously, it won’t heat the milk, but where frothing is concerned, the PowerLix doesn’t give up an inch. Just place it in milk and switch it on, and its stainless steel whisk will go about merrily frothing the milk to a velvety texture. And that’s exactly what you want from a good milk frother. The model is popular enough to have spawned a bunch of lookalikes, so be careful while purchasing.
PowerLix frother is powered by two AA batteries. It is surprisingly efficient, and for normal usage, you can expect the batteries to last for a few months. Controls are soft-touch and quick to respond, making it convenient to operate.
|Portable||Batteries can be troublesome to insert and replace|
|Easy and convenient to use|
|Great value for money|
5. Norpro Glass Froth Master
- Capacity: 2c / 16oz
- Create that creamy foam topping for your favorite morning coffee drink right at home with the norpro
- Frothing milk manually, without adding steam, produces a lighter, longer lasting froth.
- Use this glass beaker with manual pump action to make froth to spoon onto all your coffee drinks, ho
- Recipes and instructions included.
Norpro Glass Froth Master is pretty much a cousin to the HIC Milk Creamer we saw earlier. Except, the Norpro is made of glass. It is very compared to the stainless steel options, but glass does have a way of looking better. Since this is a manual milk frother, it does help a bit to see the process and know when the frothing is at your desired preference.
Frothing is managed by a manual pump action system, so be prepared to push the plunger for a good minute. Add the glass body to the equation, and you know you’ll have to be extra careful.
|Good looking design||Glass is fragile|
|Excellent value for money||Manual action can be tiring|
|Easy to use and clean||Struggles with non-dairy milk|
6. Nestle Nespresso 3694-US-BK Aeroccino3 Milk Frother
- Rapid one touch preparation of hot or cold milk froth
- 1 button for all preparations, 1 second button pressure for hot milk or hot milk froth, 2 second but
- Maximum hot & cold milk froth capacity: 4. 1 oz. maximum hot milk capacity: 8. 1 oz
- Auto shut off when finished. non-stick surface
- If quality of milk froth not up to standard recommend usage of refrigerated whole or low-fat milk ab
Nestle Nespresso Aeroccino3 is an excellent milk frother that goes especially well with your Nespresso Espresso machine. There’s a single button for operation, hit it and you get hot, frothed milk. If cold milk is your preference, keep the button pressed for two seconds, and the Aeroccino3 will skip the heating and move straight to frothing.
Unlike the Nespresso espresso machines that are pretty quick to whip up delicious espresso, the Aeroccino3 feels rather slow. Some may even consider it a downgrade from the previous (discontinued) Aeroccino model. Gripes in that direction can be pretty well-founded, but the Aeroccino3 is a good choice, if you give it the benefit of not being judged under its predecessors’ shadows.
|Very easy to operate||Can be slow at heating milk|
|Works well with non-dairy milk||Questionable value for money|
|Auto shutdown when finished|
7. Bonsenkitchen Electric Milk Frother, Automatic Foam Maker
- Perfect milk frothing: high speed rotation of food safe stainless-steel whisk and bpa free shaft,
- Ergonomic & portable design: lightweight hand milk frother with an ergonomic handle makes frothing
- Classic never outdate style: the coffee milk mixer is styled in silver and black color perfectly fit
- Easy to use: simple one-touch switch with a powerful motor but low noise level. just put it into a c
- Stainless steel shaft with food safe material is easy to be cleaned in mild soapy water with the
Bonsenkitchen Electric Milk Frother is a handheld, portable milk frother much like the PowerLix we saw earlier. It is slim, sleek, and works off two AA batteries. The milk frother is designed to be ergonomic and lightweight, adding to its portability.
Its low price and weight make the Bonsenkitchen a useful choice for when you need portability. There are perhaps better choices available for regular home use. This one can feel flimsy, and does not work well with vegan milk.
|Lightweight and portable||Does not work well with non-dairy milk|
|Fairly powerful and easy to operate||Milk frothing temperature under 60°C can feel very low|
|Good value for money|
8. Aerolatte Original HandHeld Milk Frother
- Aerolattes original steam-free milk frother to go with storage case for making and enjoying rich, fr
- Made of 18/8 stainless steel and plastic; lead, cadmium, phthalates, and bpa free; prop 65 compliant
- Measure milk into a mug or glass, submerge frothers whisk end and hold power button to froth, about
- Convenient travel case stores frother for safe transport; great for whole, skim, and goat milk, hemp
- Easy to use; more compact and economical than espresso machines; hand wash frothers whisk end in war
In terms of sheer performance, Aerolatte is pretty much the best handheld milk frother you can lay your hands upon. The construction quality feels great, and really goes along the “satin” smooth frothing it promises. Aerolatte Original will whisk up an excellent foam in under a minute. And that’s a conservative estimate, the Aerolatte is far quicker. You can comfortably take it to dairy, as well as non-dairy milk without compromising on performance.
The handheld frother is portable and runs on batteries. However, given the power and performance, the Aerolatte Original does consume its batteries rather quickly. In daily use, you’ll be lucky if the batteries last beyond a month, and even that’s stretching things a bit.
|Powerful and efficient milk frothing||Can run through batteries pretty fast|
|Easy to operate|
|Lightweight and portable|
9. Ikea Milk Frother
Ikea Milk Frother puts simplicity on top. Its looks and design are nothing to write home about. It runs off 2 AA batteries. Yet, it refuses to draw power. It works best for small quantities, where it will froth regular or almond milk pretty well. Increase it beyond a couple of cups, and the Ikea won’t perform half as well.
It works with hot and cold milk, and can bring an acceptable result with milk frothing. Just remember to whip small batches, and you won’t have any trouble.
|Lightweight and portable||Basic design and looks|
|Easy to operate||Works best with small quantities|
Best Milk Frother — The Final Word
Pricing of milk frothers and steamers can vary quite a bit. But, you can get great options at excellent prices, so consider your use rather than looking for a cheap option. Saving a couple of bucks to get poorly frothed milk is just money wasted. A decent, and well-priced option is the PowerLix milk frother, followed closely by the Aerolatte Original HandHeld. On the other hand, if the quality is your main preference, the Breville Milk Frother BMF600XL wins hands down. It’s useful, automatic, and practically does everything you could want from a milk frother.