Remember when you were young and there was only one type of coffee maker? Well, at least only one that you were familiar with.
Nowadays, there are so many different varieties that just choosing between them can be a challenge. Many people love a good drip coffee maker and finding the best one can be just as hard as choosing the type of coffee maker. How do you choose which one will meet your needs?
There are a lot of factors that you need to consider when looking for the best drip coffee maker for you. Paying attention to the features, the capacity, and the size will allow you to find the right one.
There are many great options, though, and that still may take up some of your precious time. Therefore, we have pulled together five options that we think will be great choices no matter what your caffeine needs are.
Drip Coffee Maker Reviews
Hamilton Beach (48464) Coffee Maker with 12 Cup Capacity & Internal Storage Coffee Pot, Brewstation, Black
1. Mr. Coffee Simple Brew Coffee Maker
Our first entry is a 4-cup maker that brings with it the reputation of one of the biggest brands in coffee makers – Mr. Coffee.
Drip coffee makers have been the standard for decades, but even they have to evolve. In this new era of so many variations of coffee makers, there is a need to focus on the features and designs. Mr. Coffee has done that with this simple brew option by including the following features.
- Built-in on/off indicator
- Designed with a pause brew feature
- Crafted with dual water windows
- Comes with a removable filter basket
- Constructed with a 650W warming plate
This coffee maker, though simply designed, brings with it a high level of performance. This is, in part, due to the materials and parts used in the carefully designed model. The addition of dual water windows and a stain-resistant warming plate are just two of the best things about this unit.
You will also be able to grab that cup of coffee no matter what point in the brewing cycle you are at, thanks to the pause brewing feature. Then, when you look at all the wonderful features, you will be shocked when you see the price.
However, there are some issues that you should be aware of before making your final judgment on whether this is the unit for you. This coffee maker does not have a rapid brew option although you do have the pause brew option that helps with this problem. However, if you are looking for a caffeine fix fast, you should look at one of our other options.
Other than that, if you are looking for a piping hot cup of joe, you may be very disappointed in the delivery of this unit. There are many that feel that the temperature is a little less than ideal.
Even with these few issues, the overall design and performance of this unit provide you with a great option.
- Has the ability to pause and serve
- Dual water window for better fill accuracy
- Built-in, stain-resistant warming plate
- Price versus value is amazing
- Temperature of coffee is not as hot as other models
- Unit brews coffee slowly
2. Keurig K-Duo Coffee Maker
Our next entry is a two-way brewer. This gives you the option to brew a big carafe of up to 12 servings or simply settle for a single cup.
With this model from Keurig, you get a unique two-way brewing design that is crafted with many standard features. Those basic highlights, combined with the model-specific inclusions, give you a well-designed and high functioning option. The features we are talking about are.
- Designed to brew in two ways
- Capable of brewing both K-Cups and grounds
- Built to brew multiple brew sizes
- Can be used with Keurig mesh filter – sold separately
- Constructed with a large water reservoir – 60 oz.
- 30” cord
- Able to program carafe portion
There is a lot to love about this coffee maker. Starting from the look and ending with the functionality, you will be in good hands if you choose this model. No matter what size of cup you are going to fill, you will be good to go, as it offers access to single-serve and pot brewing.
Plus, with the variety of options available in the K-Cups, you will have the versatility of flavor profiles, as well. You might think that the unit is going to be complicated, as it has two separate brewing sections, but that is not the case. This coffee maker’s interface and use are quite simple.
The unit is simply designed in some ways, and this could be a problem for some. For instance, it is not very feature-rich. It is missing things like temperature controls.
This will limit the versatility of use, but that is not the biggest flaw. Due to the use of some plastic pieces, there are some that feel the durability of this model is not on par with many of Keurig’s other models.
Though those two issues could be a problem for some, they are in no way universal concerns. Thus, if you are looking for a coffee maker that can serve both a single cup and a pot with a great taste, this could be the right option for you.
- Compatible with multiple types of coffee
- Aesthetically nice to look at
- Easy to use
- Able to brew multiple serving sizes
- Does not come with some standard features, i.e., temperature control
- Some issues with durability
3. KitchenAid KCM1208DG Coffee Maker
Our next entry is a uniquely designed drip coffee maker. It uses a showerhead design that is crafted to give you the optimal extraction of flavors when brewing. You can see why we had to include this on our list.
Kitchen Aid is one of the biggest names in kitchen appliances for one very good reason – quality. This coffee maker definitely offers that and so much more. Choosing this unit for our list was easy thanks to the inclusion of the following features.
- Unique, spiral, showerhead design
- Filter is crafted with a dosage ladder
- Large opening, removable water tank included in the design
- Built-in warming plate
- 2-button placement system
- Designed with a no-spill spout
When you are looking for a nice-looking, easy-to-use coffee maker, you need to look no further. There are so many things about this unit that elevate it to the status we are giving it. Plus, you won’t have to struggle to keep it clean, as it is very easy to maintain with minimal work.
From the easy-to-use interface and features to the slick-looking design, you are getting a high-quality appliance for a very budget-friendly price.
There are some issues that have been brought to our attention through our research process. Some problems with the programmable settings not working properly seem to be one of the biggest. Other than that, you may need to do some serious cleaning at first. The unit comes with a very strong plastic smell that can affect your brew.
Neither of these two issues is universal, but they are still something that you should be aware of. In the end, this coffee maker is more than just these few flaws; in fact, it can offer you the right mixture of style and function.
- Easy to use
- Looks nice in any kitchen
- Simple to clean and maintain
- Built with dosage ladder for better brewing
- Issues with programmable setting not working
- Some problems getting rid of plastic smell
4. Hamilton Beach Summit Brew Station
This coffee maker uses a unique enclosed system to deliver optimal flavor. It is a 12-cup drip brew machine that will have you prepared for whatever the day throws at you.
This large capacity coffee maker comes with so much more than just this one convenient feature. The team at Hamilton Beach made sure to build on this high capacity highlight. They included the following attributes to elevate this coffee maker’s performance.
- Designed with an enclosed brewing system
- Comes with a built-in internal heater
- No carafe design
- Constructed with easy-to-use dispenser system
Compact and versatile, this coffee maker may be the perfect choice for many coffee lovers. It is designed without a carafe. This makes for less cleanup and the chance to get the perfect amount of coffee quickly into that mug.
It may be a compact unit, which is great for those dealing with small spaces, but it is programmed with a wide range of features. These features are included to offer an optimized brewing experience.
Some design flaws are present even in this amazing coffee maker. The biggest miss in this design is the lack of a pause brew feature. Though that is minor, there is also one other issue. The mesh filter does seem to clog quite frequently. This detracts from the positive aspect of having less cleaning due to the lack of the carafe.
Those couple of drawbacks could be the determining factor for some. If you can, however, pay more attention to what you are getting; you may find yourself with a well-made, superior brewing system.
- Doesn’t come with a carafe
- Comes with a wide set of programmable features
- Reduced need for maintenance and cleaning
- Unit won’t take up much space
- Issues with mesh filter clogging
- No pause brew feature
5. KRUPS KM550D50 Coffee Maker
Our last entry offers the coffee lover a lot. You are able to use your own beans and grind at any moment to enjoy the warmth of the coffee once it is brewed. That is why it is one of our top choices.
The brew is all about the beans! That is one of those statements that you don’t understand until you have a cup of coffee from fresh grounds. With this unit, you will get a lot of amazing features, including the following.
- Capable of grinding beans or using pre-ground beans
- Fitted with a flat burr grinder with multiple settings
- Unit is constructed with dishwasher-safe parts
- Comes with multiple settings for coffee customization
The ability to grind your own beans will elevate your coffee palate for sure. It will also save you money, as you can make sure that no bean is left behind.
The ability to brew a cup of coffee to your specific preference or play with the flavors will improve your understanding of coffee. It might even make you a coffee connoisseur. Plus, despite the extra features, it is still very easy to clean!
One area of the unit will take a little extra time to clean, though is the filter. There are a lot of instances where it will clog easily, especially with a fine grind. There is also some dampness present in the grinder. Though this may seem like a good thing, it actually could impact the taste of the final brew negatively.
These issues are not ones that cannot be fixed. That means that, if you are looking for a coffee maker that gives you more control over your brew, this is the choice for you.
- Capable of grinding beans into different grind sizes
- Comes with multiple brew options
- Fitted with a warm feature
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Issues with grinder clogging
- Dampness seems to be present in grinder
These are just some of the best drip coffee makers on the market today. We hope that we have helped you streamline your decision-making process. Whether you pick one of these models or not, you’ll get the most from your coffee maker if you search for a couple of significant features.
- Temperature controls that keep water heated to somewhere in the range of 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit during brewing
- Programmed shutoff of the hot plate, or no hot plate, to keep your coffee from evaporating during and after the brewing process
- Pause brew feature that permits you to grab a cup before the process is completed
- Water filters that guarantee clean water for an optimal tasting brew
- Armed with all this knowledge, we feel confident that you will be able to find the right drip coffee maker for you.