Getting a reusable K cup is a sensible decision. These cups significantly reduce wastage, are easy on the pocket, and let you brew your favorite coffee. Keurig My K-Cup is a popular choice in the world of reusable k-cups. Options from other companies and brands are available as well.
Knowing how to use a reusable K cup the right way can significantly improve your coffee experience. It also reduces possible problems like the k-cup not fitting in the Keurig machine or the coffee dripping or leaking. Let’s take a look!
How To Use Keurig K-Cup
The official reusable K-cup offering from Keurig is compatible with all Keurig home coffee makers. It’s convenient and well-made to fit different models and machines. This article specifically mentions the Keurig reusable k-cup. However, the process is broadly similar for other reusable K-cups too.
If you’re wondering how to use my k-cup® universal reusable coffee filter, here are some quick tips. I’ve also added some ideas for preparation to get the best coffee experience possible.
Preparation – Coffee Grind And Roast
Conventional wisdom is that grinding coffee beans right before brewing is the recipe for better-tasting coffee. That is absolutely true. Getting a quality coffee grinder is the secret to gourmet coffee.
Choose a medium grind for the reusable K-cup. Somewhat like the grind you’d use in a drip coffee maker, perhaps slightly finer than that.
Avoid picking a fine grind because that can clog the filter.
Those who prefer their coffee strong usually find that dark roast works better. A full-bodied, strong coffee is exactly what we’re looking for.
Be sure to add fresh coffee to the reusable K-cup after brewing each cup. Using the same grounds for multiple cups of coffee is the recipe for watery, bland beverages.
Step-By-Step Guide On How To Use Reusable K-cup
- Remove the lid on the K-cup by twisting the lid counter-clockwise towards the unlock sign.
- Fill the cup with your favored coffee grounds. Be sure not to go overboard the line indicating the maximum mark.
- K-cup has lines to mark the maximum fill for a cup or a travel mug. You can choose either based on your preference, but don’t go above the travel mug line.
- Don’t tamp or compress the coffee. This can negatively affect filter performance.
- Place the lid back on the reusable K-cup. Twist it clockwise towards the lock sign to secure it in place.
- Raise the handle of your Keurig machine and place K-cup in the filter holder.
- If using the classic series brewer, ensure that the arrow on the k-cup lid matches with the arrow on the brewer.
- Lower the brewer handle and pick the desired option for your coffee.
- Enjoy your brew!
Cleaning The Reusable K Cup
- Allow the filter to cool down after you’re done brewing coffee.
- Disassemble the filter and remove the used coffee grounds.
- Keurig My K-cup is top rack dishwasher safe. If cleaning it by hand, use warm, soapy water.
Removing Or Adding The Adapter
Keurig My K-Cup Universal Reusable Coffee Filter is designed for use with the Keurig Classic and the Keurig 2.0 Plus Series. Since both these machines require different sizes for the K-cup, the reusable filter includes an adapter. With the adapter in place, the cup can be used for the Plus Series. Here’s how you can add or remove the adapter.
- To remove the adapter, hold the top of the filter holder with one hand.
- Using your thumbs to push down the brewer adapter opening.
- If necessary, utilize both thumbs while the other hand holds the base of the filter.
- To attach the adapter to your reusable K-cup, line up the adapter opening with the filter holder hook.
- Firmly, but carefully, slide the adapter into place.
Top Alternatives To Keurig K-Cup Reusable Filter
Solofill K3 Plus Compatible with: Keurig® K-Elite™ Single Serve Coffee Maker – All 1st Generation Keurig ® K-Cup® Brewing & 2.0 Brewring Systems
DI ORO MaxBrew Keurig Reusable K Cup Coffee Filter – For Keurig 1.0 and 2.0 Coffee Brewers – 24K Gold Small Refillable Coffee Filter – Fits K200, K300/K350/K360, K450/K460, K500/K550/K560 (Purple)
6 Reusable K Cups for Keurig – Universal Fit 1.0 & 2.0 Keurig Coffee Makers – 6 Purple Refillable Kcups Coffee Filters for all Keurig Brewers Family
1. Solofill K3 Plus
Solofill K3 Plus is a well-liked option that can reasonably last a long time. Its body is largely plastic and is completely BPA-free. The cup has a built-in ultra-fine stainless steel micro mesh filter that does a great job.
According to the manufacturer, this cup can also be used for loose-leaf tea. That’s a nice touch and increases the overall usability of this reusable K-cup.
2. DI ORO – MaxBrew 24K GOLD K-Cup
Di Oro is another popular option, though slightly more expensive than most reusable filters for Keurig. Its overall construction quality is perhaps what makes this filter worth its price. The plastic parts on this cup are entirely BPA-free.
The filter mesh is plated in 24K gold. According to the manufacturer, the honeycomb pattern and gold plating keep this K-cup fresh and enable it to last longer. The gold plating ensures that the cup does not add flavors to the coffee. Additionally, it won’t attract any flavors, oils, or odors from the coffee to the cup either. The cup is top rack dishwasher safe for easier cleanup.
3. GoodCups Reusable K Cups
If value for money is what you’re looking for, these cups should fit snugly in any budget. Broadly speaking, you get half-dozen cups at the price of a single premium reusable cup like the Di Oro.
Price savings you get with these cups come at a small cost. They are made entirely out of plastic, including the filter mesh. The cups are BPA, lead, and DEHP free. However, plastic being plastic, do not expect these cups to last months.
The mesh will likely start to give way after a few uses. But then again, the low price can be more convenient.
4. K&J Reusable K-Cups
These cups try to set a balance between value and quality. They appear sturdier and the filter looks like it can last a few uses. The cups make generous use of plastic, though the micro-etched stainless steel works fairly well.
Enjoying The Reusable K-Cup
Quality products like the Keurig My K-cup reusable cup are designed to last for a long time. Excellent coffee with the convenience of a Keurig is the hot mantra that’s making waves. Learning how to use a reusable K cup can give you the advantage of making gourmet coffee at home. Add in monetary and environmental benefits, and these cups create a win-win situation.